Home   |  Client Login
Skip Navigation Links
Working In Canada

A Work Permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada, though for some positions and business people it is not necessary. If you want to work in Canada, you must understand the following important information:
  • Your employer helps determine if you are eligible. Your employer may need to get a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). A labour market opinion confirms that the employer can fill the job with a foreign worker.
  • To work in Canada, you must meet the general requirements for entering the country and for staying here, in addition to those for getting a Work Permit. This means you may need a Temporary Resident Visa.
  • A Work Permit is not an immigration document. It does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live here permanently, you must qualify under an immigration category, such as skilled worker. Live-in caregivers can stay in Canada permanently if they meet certain requirements.
  • If you want your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children to come with you to Canada, they must apply to do so.
Eligibility to apply from outside Canada

To apply for a Work Permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents: 
  • a job offer from a Canadian employer
  • a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
  • written confirmation from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
    • In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion.
You must also do the following: 
  • Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your Work Permit.
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record. You may have to provide a police clearance certificate.
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Be in good health. You may have to have a medical examination.
Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada

You can apply for a Work Permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements: 
  • You are from the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon.
  • You do not need a medical examination (or you already have a medical certificate).
  • You do not need a temporary resident visa to visit Canada and your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC.
  • You hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC.
How can Nexus Canada help?

If you have an offer of employment from a Canadian employer, Nexus Canada can assist you by advising whether or not a labour market opinion from HRSDC is required, by assisting your employer to obtain the labour market opinion if necessary, by preparing the Application for a Work Permit and advising you regarding the supporting documents required to increase the chance for a successful application.


Home |   About Us |   Services |   Study in Canada |   Work In Canada |   Contact Us